Baileys Mill dates from around 1855 and was part of a complex of buildings associated with the adjacent Grade II Listed Ball & Son Lace Factory. The building was semi-derelict when we were approached to rescue the building to create new offices for Jane Stapleton Schools Photography. www.jssp.co.uk
Previous applications to demolish the building for housing had been rejected by the Local Planning Authority; so when we approached them with our proposals they were extremely enthusiastic that this heritage building would be saved.
Our design focused on repair and renewal of the building fabric adopting a sensitive approach externally and simple contemporary internal spaces flooded with light. Through the use of colour, materials and a logical progression of spaces we have created a modern facility and rescued and important part of the East Midlands built heritage.